Applicants must read and acknowledge their understanding of the information and instructions.
INFORMATION AND INSTRUCTIONS - FOREIGN LEGAL CONSULTANT APPLICATIONS
Rules Regulating Admission to the Bar in Missouri
You are responsible to read and understand Rule 9 - Practice By Nonresident Attorneys and the Rules Regulating Admission to the Bar in Missouri.
All information and announcements are posted on our website at www.mble.org. You are expected to regularly visit the
MBLE web site to review the announcements and information posted there. MBLE corresponds with applicants primarily via e-mail. You are required to
maintain a current e-mail address and mailing address on your personal MBLE Registration Account, and to regularly read all mail from this office, whether
sent electronically or by postal service. It is your responsibility to ensure that e-mails from MBLE are not filtered as spam and to add
@courts.mo.gov and @mble.org to your e-mail address book.
Filing Deadlines & Fees
There is no filing deadline for submitting an application for certification as a foreign legal consultant. The fee is $1,400. Filing fees are not refundable even if you withdraw your application or do not meet the requirements for certification.
Review the fee schedule here »
Proper Application Filing Process
For your application to be properly filed, you must submit the electronic application, prescribed filing fee, authorization and release form and affidavit. If you fail to complete the Filing Process within six months of submission of the electronic application, you will be required to submit an entirely new application as if applying for the first time.
1. Application - Complete and submit the electronic portion of your application. Do not submit the electronic application in paper form.
2. Filing Fee - Pay the prescribed filing fee, either by credit card, debit card, or send a money order, cashier's check, corporate check
or law firm check made payable to "Clerk of the Supreme Court." Print your name on the check exactly as it appears in the application
in order to ensure proper credit. Unacceptable forms of payment include cash, personal checks and traveler's checks. All fees are non-refundable.
3. Authorization and Release form - Print the A&R form and sign it in the presence of a notary. The properly signed and notarized
A&R must be submitted by mail. Your application will not be accepted for filing until a signed and notarized A&R is received.
Once you have submitted your application electronically, you may also upload the signed and notarized Authorization and Release form, in PDF, by clicking on the "Upload New Document" button located in the bottom right corner of your user home page. Uploaded picture/PNG/JPG files will not be accepted.
4. Other PDF forms - You must print and submit by mail the "Affidavit of Applicant for Certification as a Foreign Legal Consultant" which is
in Adobe PDF format. You must complete the Affidavit and sign it in the presence of a notary.
Mailing the documents -
For U.S. Postal Service regular delivery:
Missouri Board of Law Examiners
P.O. Box 104236
Jefferson City MO 65110-4236
Certified mail, delivery service (FedEx/UPS) or personal delivery
Missouri Board of Law Examiners
1700 Jefferson Street
Jefferson City MO 65109
External documents - Many additional documents, beyond the application forms listed above, are required to complete your application and
admissions file. We refer to these as “external documents.” External documents are documents that are required based upon your answers in the application
forms and which you typically must obtain from some third party. Examples of external documents include your driver's license records, electronic
fingerprints, police reports, court records, certificate of status, disciplinary statement, etc. The A&R form, PDF forms, and fee are NOT
External documents can be submitted before, concurrent with, or after filing of your application. While we do not require that external documents be
submitted at the time the application is filed, the decision as to your character and fitness and eligibility for certification will be delayed until we have
received all required external documents. Therefore, it is in your best interest to submit all required external documents in a timely manner, preferably
with the paper portions of your application. It is helpful if you include a cover letter with the paper portion of your application listing any missing
external documents and the date we can expect to receive those.
Required for proper filing of application:
1. Electronic application form completed and submitted.
2. Filing fee paid by credit card, debit card, cashier's check, money order, corporate check or law firm check.
3. A&R signed in presence of notary and mailed.
4. Affidavit of Applicant for Certification as a Foreign Legal Consultant (2 page PDF form).
Required to fully complete application so character and fitness can be determined:
5. Submission of fingerprints. Register online at MACHS with our Agency registration number: 2948. Instructions for applicants living outside of Missouri.
6. Official driver's record(s) that include your history of any traffic violations and administrative actions as requested in Question 2
of the Application for Character and Fitness Report.
7. All other external documents requested in the application.
Required to fully complete your file so eligibility for certification can be determined:
8. Official transcript showing date your J.D. degree was awarded mailed directly to the Board's office from the law
school. No "issued to student" transcripts will be accepted.
9. Certified birth certificate, certified Consular Report of Birth, a copy of Certificate of Citizenship evidencing your status as U.S.
citizen, or a legible copy of both sides of the US. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) document evidencing your status as a naturalized citizen,
a lawful permanent resident, or an alien authorized to work in the U.S.
10. A Certificate of Status from the licensing authority and a Disciplinary History Statement from the disciplinary authority of each U.S.
jurisdiction (state, territory or the District of Columbia) or foreign jurisdiction where you currently are or ever have been admitted to practice law as
requested in Question 9 of the Application for Character and Fitness Report. The statement from the disciplinary authority must include a verification that you are not the subject of any pending disciplinary complaints.
11. MPRE score of not less than 80 certified to our office by National Conference of Bar Examiners.